Wednesday, March 22, 2006

New Mexico, Buffalo, and Back

I am here in the airport in Albuquerque and getting ready to head back east. Despite my east coast bias, I really enjoyed it out here. The mountains are amazing and we ate some great food. Also, I got to see Amy and Chris, two of my best friends who lived in Baltimore for a short time, and their two AMAZING kids! I really miss them and it was so great to catch up after 3 years or so.

Anyway, personal stuff aside, I wanted to blog about the food.

I LIKE New Mexican food. Though I am a bit burnt out on cheese. I had a enchilada at High Noon -78--that was cheese covered corn tortillas stuffed with cheese and topped with green chile. The food was pretty good, the atmosphere was wonderful, but the service was not as good. The server mentioned that it was her second week ever and she was pretty dizzy. She was nice and tried hard. Also the mozzarella in the Buffalo Mozzarella Salad was clearly cow's milk in origin.

We also ate at a supurb Spanish tapas restaurant on Canyon Drive, the artists' enclave in Santa Fe. El Farol -90--was perhaps the most expensive meal we had, but sooooo worth it. I had grilled romaine salad, aguacate--a deep fried avocado with salsa cruda and lime crema-- and the best pasta dish I have ever had: pasta pinon verde--penne, manchego, poblano and pinon cream.

More later.

4 comments:

Casey said...

What's wrong with cow-milk mozarella? You would prefer it to be from water buffalo?

Tom said...

Well if the menu says Mozzarella di Buffala then it should be from water buffalo not Mooooo! :)

Casey said...

ah

AS Novus said...

ok. ok. so we got a lotta cheese. anyway onto the greenchile, why doesn't the red and green get any respect? yes my kids are absolutely amazing, i am glad you think so. i must admit that my culinary styling has adaped to the excessive cheese, i don't think that i would have noticed, had you not pointed it out. Jennifer, WE ADORE YOU!!! Tom I think you should count yourself lucky, and don't judge a hippy by its cover, HA! Peace, Love, Green Chile, Cheese, and Hippy SHIT! -amy
p.s. i am sooooo BIG!