Friday, April 07, 2006

United 93

I was tooling around on Slate and found this article on the coming movie United 93. I did not read it first, but jumped straight to the clip. I have to say that I was unprepared for the emotions that it raised in me. I immediately knew that it was an account of one of the 9/11 planes, but by the end I found myself running through the emotions I felt that day. I did not think that I still harbored such strong feelings about it.

Having said that I was amazed at how close this movie follows on the heels of an event like that. The Slate article points out that Pearl Harbor came out 50 years after the event. Although I think that this move is bold and provacative (in a good way), it really cuts through some of the barriers of what we consider appropriate. I can only imagine that people with a much more personal connection to the events of 9/11 would feel much more than I did.

I might see this movie. As some of you know I don't say that often. I think that its value lies in the fact that it forces you to confront feelings still raw and makes one reflect upon the past 5 years in terms of what has and has not been done to prevent terrorism by the Bush Administration. On the other hand, this movie could also spark a new upwelling of xenophobia and anti-foreign sentiment leading to further debacles such as the Dubai ports deal.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

2 comments:

Casey said...

I don't have any thoughts, I'm honestly not even sure it was al quaeda that was responsible. I know it sounds insane to say so, but I clearly remember thinking on that day, those falling buildings look they fell in a controlled demolition (they were the only buildings to collapse from a fire, ever, in the history of the world).

I do know one thing though, xenophobia or not, Bush is right when he says we are addicted to oil (even if he was a dealer).

Casey said...

I have to say I also think its too early to be reflecting on 9/11 like this, but more so because we still have to keep our minds on the nuclear war Bush is planning to start.